Are you tired of hearing that the only option for hormone regulation is birth control? Did you know there are more options to help your body heal and restore balance? Being a Naturopathic physician gives me more tools in my tool belt to better help you and your body. When looking at your hormones it is helpful to use a holistic approach and treat the whole person. I look at all of your symptoms and current labs to help determine what the underlying cause of dysfunction is and remove the obstacles to allow your body to heal and restore. By using herbs, supplements and acupuncture in conjunction with diet and lifestyle changes when necessary to to treat the whole body. Whether you are cycling, or not, on birth control or not, postpartum or struggling with fertility there is always something to help the body.
Where to start balancing your hormones:
- Sleep 8 hours of sleep each night with a healthy sleep routine. When you're sleeping your body is able to heal, balance and restore. If you’re waking during the night or having difficulty falling asleep there might be other things underlying to explain this.
- Drinking plenty of water. Water is a great way to aid your body in its natural detoxification pathways. A good goal to try for is up to half your body weight in ounces per day or around 64 oz, those 8 8oz glasses.
- Eating breakfast! By eating breakfast you are giving your body nourishment and supporting your hormone pathway vs your cortisol pathway when you're running on empty. When you’re go, go, go, your body releases cortisol. When your body is consistently releasing cortisol it will steal from your hormone pathway and lower your hormone levels. Leading to imbalance and discomfort. So work on having something small in the morning like a sprouted grain piece of toast with some almond butter and a banana or a whole fat organic yogurt with walnuts, blueberries and chia seeds.
- Working on your stress levels can be very helpful. Trying active stress relief with belly breaths, earthing and self care or trying passive stress relief such as acupuncture, hydrotherapy or cupping treatments to support your stress detoxification pathway.
- Daily bowel movements are necessary for elimination and detoxification of excess hormones, toxins and unwanted waste. Keeping your body regular can have a huge benefit in your mood, energy and yes, even your hormone levels.
These small steps done consistently can have a great impact on our health and even improve symptoms.
A few common symptoms that can be associated with hormone dysregulation.
- Facial hair
- Breast tenderness
- Mood swings before or during cycle
- Heavy flows or no cycle at all
I’m Dr Trisha Lehto, NMD and I’m a naturopathic physician looking to treat the whole you and meet you and your body where you are. Contact me for a free 10 minute consultation to hear how I practice and if it is a good fit for you and your health.